Tuesday 29 October 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Hand Quilted Entry

I've watched from afar for the last two years, as bloggers have linked up their quilts to the brilliant Blogger Quilt Festival. I found loads of blogs through it and lots of inspiration.
AmysCreativeSide
The first year I hadn't even really finished a quilt and for the last two festivals, I've not felt I had made anything that was special enough to share.
But, I have finally finished my most precious quilt over the last week.
Spinning Stars of Quilt Blocks!
I started this back in September of last year when Katy 'I'm a Ginger Monkey' Jones started a quilt along and I got the top all together by April. And then it sat there waiting for me to man-up and baste it!
I knew I wanted to hand quilt it like the original by Anna Maria Horner, but am just a scaredy cat!
I think I was also a quiet worried about ruining a top I loved with wonky machine quilting! But, over the last few weeks I've hand quilted it whilst watching TV and then tackled the binding. Lots and lots of binding, nearly 315" of it.

The Details
Pattern : Spinning Stars by Anna Maria Horner
Size :       86" x 70"
Fabric :  Quilt Blocks by Ellen Luckett Baker, Pezzy Print by American Jane and lots of Timeless Treasure's Sketch for the top. Binding is more Sketch and backing is Spot On extra wide for Moda.
Quilting : Hand quilted by me with DMC Perle No.8

I added a little note to the binding with the alphabet on my machine to mark when I finished it!
The year went a bit squished! 

I really stepped out of my comfort zone making this quilt, both with the patterns and the fabrics colours, but I love how it has finished up! I used fairly big stitches and used the same colour Perle on the rings as the Sketch and white Perle for the stars and centres.
Even the man of the house made a comment when he saw it on the bed! So it must be bright!

So, thats my entry, I'm off to look at all the other entries and will try and not add anything else I see to my making wish list!!

Edited 30/10/13 - I forgot, this is also my first finish from my Q4 list for the 2013 FAL 1 down 5 to go! 

16 comments :

  1. Ooh it is colourful - and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh - great job!! Love how those wheels pop out - nice use of value!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful quilt and your hand quilting is a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stupendi e brillanti colori!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a gorgeous quilt! I love those bright colours and your hand quilting is fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the colours in this, and cute idea with the binding note

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, lovely to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous quilt Joanne, you are definitely not a scaredy cat any more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's bright and she sure is beautiful! She made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a beautiful quilt and great hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful! I have just started making my first quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful quilt with beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this quilt and all the colours! The stitching looks great and I love that you labeled the binding! You've got my vote! Now go finish more off that list ;)

    ReplyDelete

I know time is precious, so thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...