Thursday 22 May 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2014 - Scrappy

I've hummed and arred over joining in with the Blogger's Quilt Festival this time, but the yay in me won (at the last minute), as it is such a brilliant way to find other blogs and fellow quilt lovers!!

AmysCreativeSide.com

For those of you who have stumbled here from Blogger's Quilt Festival, my name is Joanne and I am a mum of 3 and wife of 1 long suffering husband, who loves to sew, knit and stitch, to keep sane. 
I live on the outskirts of London and am mostly a stay at home mum, but help with my parents business too. I have always loved making things, but the birth of my third child and deciding to stay at home and not return to work full-time, kicked me into crafting overdrive. I started blogging in 2011 as I knew no-one who knitted or sewed and I wanted to catalogue my makes. I started my first quilt in January 2012 and have been very badly bitten by the quilt making bug and the associated fabric buying/stashing addiction and have not looked back. 

I have picked to enter my Economy Block Quilt (that I made from 1st block to snuggling under, in a record breaking for me 7 weeks) to the Scrappy Category
I first spotted the Economy Block on Instagram over the New Year when it was being talked about as an IG sew along and within days I had pulled out my scraps and started cutting into them. 
I used some really special fabrics for fussy cutting and tried to not be precious with matching colours too much. 
I quilted it with straight lines framing the squares. 
And I think I love the back as much as the front! 

The details are:
Size - 70"x70"
Quilted - By me with Aurifill 2021
Fabrics - Everything and anything! 
Binding - Sketch in Charcoal and Smoke


This quilt really tested one of my quilty resolutions to try and mix colours up more and to stop sticking within fabric ranges for safe options and my other one to use more scraps and stash fabrics!! Although the scraps where hardly dented, even after making 196 blocks!! 
Thank you so much for reading about my Scrappy Economy Block Quilt and thanks you so much for Amy for Hosting this amazing blogging festival! I'm off to see all the fantastic quilts and other categories! 

16 comments :

  1. I love your quilt and how you used scraps. I also like to hear how people quilt their own and how they do their backings. I love the backing material and may have to get some of that to make something for my daughter. She's an art teacher and has been to Mexico and loves anything to do with "The Day of the Dead" and their festivals. Isn't it amazing how blogs can just speak to ous in so many ways! Thank you for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I think this your version of this quilt stands out as particularly fantastic:-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ths quilt! Just a pity it isn't a little bt bigger ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way all your colors work so well together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choice missus, it was insanely fast for a quilt that foutery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! love that background fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun quilt! I'm impressed you made it in 7 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this one - but you already knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Your quilt is gorgeus! You managed to MIX the colours beautifully! I love also your couch - it has wonderful shape! Teje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I was worried the colours would be too much, but they do work really well together!
      My couch is comfy but very low! My poor parents can't sit on it!!!

      Delete
  10. Love your quilt. I am a sucker for The Economy block myself, and use it often.

    ReplyDelete

I know time is precious, so thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...