Wednesday 15 October 2014

Tattooed Emery Dress

I showed you a sneak peek of this the other day and it finally stopped raining long enough to get the pre-teen to take some very early morning shots of me in it!
I have lusted after this fabric for a while but didn't know what to make, until I made my first Emery Dress and then I knew just what I could make No.2 out of…..
Tattoo Fabric…..I flipping LOVE it!!!!
I'm far too chicken to get a real tattoo, so this for me is the next best thing.
I wore it out last week to the Knitting & Stitching Show at Ally Pally and it was so comfy, I then wore it on Sunday and had to be told by the husband that wearing it again on Tuesday was a little too soon. 
I did get quite a few strange looks in the playground on the school run! "Does that woman have tattoo's on her dress??" "You look different!" "Err, is that new!!" 
After talking about it on IG we have a tag now for a few of us that have children or friends or fellow school runners that think we are a little bonkers! Yes I'm a  #weirdmum and am proud.
Although my lovely neighbour liked it and couldn't believe it had been a folded bit of fabric on the Monday! I've also managed to talk the said lovely neighbour into a sewing machine from Lidl….we are converting them one by one people!!! 
So this is my second attempt at The Emery Dress and I have learnt loads more sewing it this time. 

Firstly, I need a smaller size on the top of the bodice and larger on the bottom, e.g. I have a thick middle and small shoulders! Even though I made the 16 this time the shoulders were still quite big and I had to make the darts bigger on the back, I need to learn to grade/merge pattern sizes?!?

Secondly, zippers are really not as scary as I always though them to be and I love my zipper foot, it worked a treat. 

Thirdly, as a bigger bust lady I do need to keep those necklines scooped out! It just looked too blocky on me with the higher neck. 

And lastly, I love, love, love sewing dresses with Olive the Overlocker! Those seams are soooo neat and tidy and it is so much quicker than the overcast stitch on my Janome.  
I bought four metres of Tattoo fabric and still have a fair bit left, but I'm a crafty cutter and don't like to waste a bit of fabric. I have also got to say you will save lots of fabric if you use a cheaper cotton solid or like to line the bodice. 
The Details 
Pattern - The Emery Dress size 16
Fabric - Alexander Henry Tattoo Fabric in Black from Frumble, spotty pocket fabric leftover from my Minnie Mouse version

So, I still love this pattern and I can tell you that dress No.3 is not far behind after buying the fabric at the Knitting & Stitching Show

I fear I have an addiction starting! 

11 comments :

  1. I'm not a fan of tattoos, but I do like your dress! It's the permanency of real tattoos that scare me, so your dress is the perfect answer to that. Not weird at all!
    Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all kinds of awesome!!! And I suspect I may be a #weirdmum, too! I'll be the forty year old in the Japanese kawaii hoodie and giant white eighties trainers. *g* Although I have it on good authority from the 12 year old's pals that I am actually a #coolmum. So lets go with that, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fab perfect with the autumn leaves and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a bag with the leftovers:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!!! And I love that butterfly fabric too- just used my only FQ and may have to order more. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dress! I doubt i'll be converting my all-male neighbours to sewing however ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another gorgeous dress. Can't wait to see the one in the butterfly fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, it's much nicer than a real tattoo, I'd be so chuffed if I had made this. I am still lamenting missing the Lidl overlockers :( I think I've whinged about it so much that my husband (still feels weird calling him that) might well get the hint for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful. I didn't quite make it to Lidl in the end. I figured that I should probably start sewing again first! Loving your work #obvs

    ReplyDelete

I know time is precious, so thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...